Disillusioned by Sega (Read 2660 times)
Shinobi
Master Administrator

May the FORCE be
with you... Always!

Northcoast, USA
Disillusioned by Sega
Jan 17th, 2016, 3:20pm

For those of you that know me, you're aware of my devotion and support for all things Sega. It started in the 80's arcade scene. Sega invariably had the coolest new arcade games.

Some of Sega's arcade games were ported to early consoles like the Colecovision. Then came their first NA system, the Sega Master System. Fans (like me) were able to bring home the Sega experience like never before. With the advent of Phantasy Star, Sega secured their hold on my support.

The next generation brought forth 16-bit gaming in the form of the Genesis and Sega CD. This was when Sega began their reputation of always being ahead of the curve in home technology. If that wasn't enough, they even turned the Genesis into a 32-bit system with the (failed) 32X add-on.

In May of 1995, Sega stunned us with an early release of the Sega Saturn twin 32-bit console. Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter were launch titles and brought home (once again) the arcade experience. This was also the beginning of the end. Sony took over the market with its PS1 and Sega didn't really have a response until it was too late.

Sega's last gasp came in the form of a dream, the Sega Dreamcast was to be their big answer to the Sony machine. There's no doubt the Dreamcast was Sega's best console, but the media, developers and game fans still relegated it to the second choice behind the PS1/PS2. Then came another Sega first: Phantasy Star Online was the first console MMORPG and it was a grand slam. Unfortunately, the handwriting was on the wall.

Sega became a third party developer for all three major platforms, GameCube, Xbox and PS2. Games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Yakuza, and Phantasy Star Online Episode I&II were the future.

In my opinion, the last gasp for Sega in America came in 2006 with the release of Phantasy Star Universe on Xbox 360. It started out slow, but finished strong with the Ambition of the Illuminus expansion. Since then, Sega has released fewer games of lower interest in the transition to the mobile market.

Nowadays, we're supposed to be happy with 3D versions of Genesis games on a handheld system. To top it off, Sega still makes a few games for Sony in Japan, and refuses to release Phantasy Star Online 2 outside of Southeast Asia. Can you say, disillusioned!?

image_002.jpg

Shinobi Musashi - Administrator
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print